View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Saw this generic Dodgers pennant on eBay. Not too uncommon. This is the product of a company who has made many pennants, but has yet to be identified. What strikes me about this is the spine and tassels. Not felt and not cloth. Almost feels like canvas. Where have we seen this before? The company that made the 1958 LA/SF opening day pennant, the 1954-58 WS pennants (see ‘55 below), and the 1956, 1958 NFLC pennants. The pennants themselves are cloth. Furthermore, we have this series below that Baseball Rob posted awhile ago, observe the Phillies pennant. These all have the same type of spine. That being said, my guess is that this pic is from 1964-65 simply because of the Milwaukee Braves and Redlegs pennants hanging. 1968 seems a tick too modern. I know they changed the 3 to an 8 on the WS pennant. Do you have more background on this pic, Rob?

Anyway, this is a company with a distinct style. My guess is that it is from/near NYC. Ideas?
Yup. Trench

Trench definitely made the "BKLYN." pennant you first showed. Rick posted a photo from the Brooklyn Eagle of some kids waving it that dates it to ca. 1949. I believe it measures 26" in length; which, by the late 1940s, was Trench's preferred size. There's also a Brooklyn (football) Dodgers pennant featuring the same letter script, with a punter graphic known to be used by Trench during that same era.

The '55 Dodgers v. Yankees WS pennant is, I believe, also by Trench.

So you weren't far off on your New York guess, Greg; except these came from Buffalo rather than NYC.

I can't say I've ever noted any anomalies in the spines on either of these two pennants.

I'm afraid the '58 Dodgers v. Giants "1st Game" pennant's manufacturer remains unknown. I don't believe it's by Trench: it has no tassels. The speculation among Rob and I was that this was made by a local, bay area novelty maker that made a few other Giant-only pennants featuring the same San Francisco artwork.