View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 01:50 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Good Sunday morning. This week I will update you on 1968 entries to the Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set. We'll begin this week with the Bazooka slots. Technically, there are two entries for Bazooka in 1968 but at the top left, I am showing you 3 entries. First, you see the Panel, which is actually the backside of the Bazooka Box showing Brooks. The Panel and the single hand cut card below it are interchangeable according to PSA. The single cut card is the highest graded coming in at a PSA 10. This card is the only one graded, as well. The Panel is a high grade (PSA 8) with three graded higher. The box is the highest graded with another peer. All of these Bazooka examples can be expensive. Next is the 1968 O Pee Chee version of the "Topps" Pin-up. This pin-up looks the same as the 1967 Topps version but the Canadian version is graded as 1968. This examples graded as a PSA 2. I have had 3 graded and can't seem to get higher than "Good." There are 2 graded higher. Centering seems to be the challenge wiht O Pee Chee and pin-ups. Moving right, you next see the 1968 Topps Action All Star Stickers with Brooks and two of his friends. This sticker is graded as a PSA 3 and like the O Pee Chee Pin-up, I do not have much luck with grading these. Generally, these do not grade higher than a 4 or 5 so mine is actually pretty nice. This sticker is part of a longer sleeve of stickers, which are fairly expensive. The stickers were a test issue and were sold with one sticker per pack. Below the sticker is the 1968 Dexter Press Post Card. This card is graded as a PSA 8. The Dexter Press Post Cards include 77 cards produced by Coca-Cola. There are 6 Brooks cards graded higher. Next, you will find the Atlantic Oil Play Ball Card featuring Brooks. There were 50 total players. The AL was on a Red Card while the National League was featured on a Blue Bordered Card. The cards either had the game rules on the back or a "play ball" back. The cards were perforated so conditioning can be a challenge. Here, the version with the rules on the back is graded a PSA 6, which is a high graded card given the challenges with these cards (there are 2 graded higher). I am showing you a PSA 3 "play ball" back version (4 graded higher). The next card is on my top 5 favorite Brooks cards list. Another Test Issue...here is the 1968 Topps Discs Facing Right. This card has great eye appeal and will cost you dearly. This card was supposed to be part of a pin-back button issue, which never materalized. There were 24 discs in the set on an uncut sheet with numberous HOF'ers. This card is the only one graded by PSA. This and the 67 disc with eyes facing left (I showed you this one last week) are very similar looking in my opinion. The 1968 Topps Game card is next. This card is graded as a PSA 8, which is affordable but a PSA 9 can be worth over $1,300 if not more. I can't seem to find a PSA 9 but they pop up routinely. There are 21 graded higher. This card was offered as in insert or you could buy the entire set of 33 cards. Next, you see the lone entry from 1968 with a Coca-Cola Cap. There will be more "soon" (I have 5 other versions at PSA being graded). This verion is the Orioles Team Cap O10 and you can tell it is 1968 because there is no position annotated right of his face. This cap is the highest graded but soon, you will see more and more of these being graded. Next, you will find the many entries from Topps with Brooks. You see the regular Topps issues, Milton Bradley, O Pee Chee and Venezuela. The Regular issued cards from Topps has 4 entries. You see the Bird Belters at a PSA 9 grade (surprisingly, there are 57 GEM cards). Next, you see the PSA 9 All Star Card (there are 30 graded GEMs) followed by the Team Card, which is one of 13 GEMs. Next, you see the GEM graded regular Topps Brooks issue (there are 30 GEMs) along with Milton Bradley (graded PSA 7 with 10 graded higher) and O Pee Chee (mine is graded PSA 8 with 9 graded higher). Finally, you see the 1968 Venne cards. The All Star Card is graded as a PSA 3 (6 graded higher), the team card is graded as a PSA 5, which is very nice (1 graded higher), and the regular issue is graded as a PSA 2 (7 graded higher). I have several of the Venes at PSA for possible upgrades. Well, that is it for this week. Hope you enjoyed the 1968 entries...so many different items to collect. Next week has as many as 19 entries and throughout the remaining 9 weeks, the number of entries rise.
Charlie,

Take a WILD guess on which one is my favorite!