View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 12:18 PM
Peirce Conboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
I personally find it very distasteful that cards from the 1970s-80s (Touchdown, Fleer Immortals, etc.) are considered a rookie card for players who played decades and decades earlier. It me it makes more sense to pick a regional, team, postcard, etc. of a player from their playing days as their rookie card than some tribute set from decades later.
I agree regarding the 74-75 Immortals, TD Club etc. Not very exciting getting cards decades after the fact.

The problem is I have a tough time getting into post cards, team photos, and stuff. This obviously puts me in a bit of a bind as I love the classic football players and the history of the game but unable to collect an option that I am enthusiastic about.

Maybe I bite the bullet and get 1 of each (first football card and era correct memorabilia) and assume one grows on me haha.

Part of the reason for collecting these was that as a kid I would make all time teams for the major sports. Once I got some chore money I tried getting a card of the player to represent themselves on the team.

Eventually got a job and that moved into buying their rookie card and stumbled into a decent career which escalated into autograph rookies. While buying my team members I noticed some decent deals on HOFers that didn't quite make my teams which escalated into buying all HOF auto rookies.

Here are my All time Post WW2 NFL teams (CI is confidence interval, how strongly I feel about that player making the team)

https://imgur.com/a/9rxblhh

Red players are the guys I am missing auto rookies

edit - Eventually I plan on making a Pre-WW2 All time team.

Last edited by pgconboy; 06-09-2020 at 12:24 PM.