View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 02:55 PM

Guys, thank you all - seriously - for the responses! I really appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
I must admit that it's a bit unnerving to have someone show a complete set of a century old set and then brag about how good he is at creating fakes of the set.

No accusations. Just...unusual.
== I hope to be an entertainer and teacher in this hobby (I am certainly entertained, and a student, to it myself!), as well as an easily accessible resource for people to help *not* get duped by fakes running rampant, so you can feel safe and rest assured zero funny business will occur from me. But you summed me up in one word at the end ... unusual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo32 View Post
Congrats! Very interesting connection between the original Conlon photos & the set! Love your passion.

I'll tell ya what, those KOTH are something else. Dang ol' masterpiece man. Yup.
Dang ol' man! Haha - thanks! I should note that Forever Young on this very website is the one that posted on my Babe Ruth thread about the Conlon connection. He even has some type 1 photos - simply amazing stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
I hope Tanner you might look at the 1916-20 UNC Big Heads as a future project. Some folks like them, some not.
Hey are definitely worth a look! An incredibly interesting issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
As a buyer and collector, and NOT a seller, I think your crazy to part with these. Great post, great stories, great history! Keep em...they are worth more than money...
Thank you! My wife is telling me I should hang onto them for a while as well. I'm still undecided - movement is what excites me. Whether that means just keeping the Ruth, keeping the Ruth & 8 Men Out, or keeping all, I am just not sure yet. They sure are fun to look at for now, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
My stars, I’m blown away. In the late 80s I had a cardboard box filled with these cards in my parents’ basement. Haunts me to this day...maybe I’ll fly out to the National this year and see if I can snag one of these...
Good luck! They are not difficult to find - some commons can be had for about $20 in decent shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
After the Ruth you showed in your other thread it is great to see the original Conlon photos that the W514 Cobb, Mathewson and Jackson cards were based upon as well.

And nice 121st Man Out card of Fred McMullin.

Brian
Thanks! This was totally inspired by Forever Young on the forums here - he is the one that made mention of the connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher.herman View Post
Congrats!! I am one away from completing this set myself. I just need Hornsby and I'm done.
Sweet!!!! Congratulations! I merely bought mine minus one, so you actually building it is far more impressive.