View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 02:56 PM
M@rk K3mm3rl3

Here are a couple more examples of '58 Topps Ed Bouchee fantasy cards. As a ten-year-old in 1958, I rode my bike all over town to trade cards with kids that I'd met in Little League who didn't go to my elementary school, looking for that last card I needed to complete my set. I thought of that elusive Ed Bouchee card as one of the great (if ultimately minor) frustrations of my life. When I got out of college in 1970 and got my first job, the first thing I bought with my first paycheck was a Wilson A2000, the ultimate baseball glove. About a year later, I saw an ad in the Street and Smith's Baseball Yearbook (or possibly the Sporting News) from Stan Martucci. I bought a '55 set for $35, and '58 and '60 Topps sets for less. I remember not buying the '57's for $55 because that seemed too expensive. Eek! (The '55 Koufax had his rookie stats written in ink on the back. I later bought a replacement Koufax (raw) that, when graded, turned out to be a PSA 7. That card cost me as much as the whole set -- $35. At any rate, thirteen years of frustration came to an end when I learned that card #145 Ed Bouchee was never issued. Only much later did I learn the details.

Last edited by metroac; 05-06-2021 at 07:02 AM. Reason: typo, additional info