View Single Post
Old 08-03-2015, 02:03 PM
Steve Birmingham

Every time I think of Thurman Munson I start thinking of what might have been. As a Red Sox fan one of the enjoyable debates was Munson or Fisk. I think most of the country thought Bench was the best catcher, but as far as any Sox or Yankees fan would say it was either of the two AL catchers.

The two of them were nearly equal in stats, Fisk had a bit more power, maybe....he did play in Fenway. Munson drove in more runs.... Batting average went back and forth. Both were great defensively, both got a lot out of their pitchers.

Then that debate came to a sudden and final end. Sure, we can still compare them in their primes, but I'd rather have another 14 seasons of greatness to compare.

Would he have stayed in NY? The Yanks surely wouldn't have played the games the Sox did that eventually cost them Fisk. But then he'd have had Steinbrenner. Would he have lasted another decade or more? Probably, he always seemed more durable than Fisk.

Some Yankees I truly didn't like, but Munson was never one of them He played the game "right" and was amazing. Even to a fan of the rival team.

Steve B