View Single Post
Old 01-18-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I think that's a very accurate description. Most of the Millennial and Post Millennial generations are very much only concerned with the "Here and Now." It's certainly a cultural shift, I blame social media partially for it. The only History they seem concerned with are things that happened right around the time they were born, or "manufactured Nostalgia" as I like to call it. We see this with certain brands or clothing items taking off after appearing in a Television show. It's a generalization sure, but I'd say 9/10 teenagers I work with fit this mold.
No disrespect but this perspective is as old as it is stale. Literally every generation has said the same thing about the next, mostly because it appreciates things differently and that has always made an old person mad for whatever reason there is to be mad that young people's opinions are different.

My point was about hobby trends. There is no reason whatsoever for the 52 Mantle to be the card it is. Boomers have just decided it is so. But you can't depend on that notion continuing forever when you're talking about a crop of collectors who will have their own version of Mantle to collect (Mike Trout).

We're already seeing collecting trends change, probably forever. Whereas the Topps Rookie was an all important card in the past, now it is Bowman that is king. Again, simple example of a widening trend. Look at the big cards of guys who came into their own as my generation grew up:

Griffey - it's Upper Deck, not Topps
Jeter - it's SP, not Topps
Ichiro - it's SPX, not Topps
Pujols - it's Bowman, not Topps
Trout - it's Bowman, not Topps

Last edited by packs; 01-18-2021 at 01:13 PM.