View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 07:27 AM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Again I think this is very fair point, I think all of our perspectives are different though, when I was making my comments on how I feel about today's teenagers, it was solely based off the groups of Teenagers I work with. Again I think it's all about how you raise them, and what you teach them. I didn't intend for it to be a blanket, be all end all statement. Sure there are kids that appreciate the older aspects of Americana. I'm on the younger side and my tastes certainly veer that way as well, again I strongly think it's about how you were raised and what exactly you were taught to value, and what you were exposed to as a Child.

EDIT:

I saw this article in the Journal. Slightly Relevant to our recent discussions!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-we-...DUVlmxKwXvj7Ek
I absolutely hear you, and understand that 'teenagers' aren't a monolith....but if you're 'working' with them you are having an entirely different experience than being able to eavesdrop on their lives when they aren't in a controlled setting, or perhaps having the time, patience and relationship to prise interesting tidbits when they least expect it or are resistant to it.

I can't say I have more than a perfunctory relationship to ANY of my kids friends, they mostly see me as just a resident head of salt and pepper hair they walk past on the way to my kids rooms or basement.
But on semi regular occasion I've been given glimpses into their thinking by listening casually from afar or getting some thoughts from my kids about what they talk about - and there's a whole different world going on when they are with their peers.

I think that's always important to remember when making characterizations about a generation as each generations seems want to do about the previous.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 01-19-2021 at 07:28 AM.