View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 08:55 PM
Frank Wakefield

That's a nice Hogsett card. He's one of the players I read about before I was a teenager. I read about the 1934 World Series, while all other kids seemed interested in Mickey Mantle; but then it was the mid-60's and as a kids, we knew nothing.

Leon's toes... not a laughing matter. Toes are critical to controlling balance. I hope the feeling returns.

I didn't realize Texas had an independent power grid. With hindsight, that's a mess, a disaster waiting to happen. Texas should join the national grid, East or West, either is fine.

I recall, as a kid, asking my Grandfather what the TVA was. He had driven by a dam in northern Tennessee and mentioned that it was a TVA dam. I was a nerdy, inquisitive kid, and my Grandfather knew 'stuff'. I listened about the WPA, depression recovery, putting people to work, electrification (which was not very far along, even in the 1950's), affordable electricity, flood control, reliable sources for public water... and I asked him why the government owned the TVA. He explained that all of that needed doing, but that it would be maybe 55 to 65 years before the TVA could reach a point where it could have debt paid down to the point where it could be profitable. He mentioned affordable electricity again and said that where we lived we paid less for electricity than many of the people in the country. He said that business men, companies, corporations, they would not undertake a course of action that would not show a profit in a man's lifetime. But that government could do that. So the TVA was necessary to develop the system in the southeast... a system that helps with flood control, manages water resources and water recreation areas, and provides affordable and reliable electricity.

Texas needs to be on the national grid. Seems likely to me that the state government office holders, having received oil money supporting campaigns, couldn't vote against local oil and private power interests; so the citizens of Texas are stuck with a flawed yet replaceable system.

I'll offer a prayer tonight for those toes, that isn't a laughing matter.

I'd like to buy an example of that green background Wagner portrait card... that looks great!