View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 08:47 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Redistribution doesn't mean theft. It can be a wide range of ideas. But let's call it theft for the sake of your argument.

How come individuals made more "real wealth" in the 1960s than they do now? My generation is supposed to be the first to make less money than their parents. I would argue that the wealthy for 60 years has redistributed wealth to the top percentage of earners. Therefore they have literally been stealing for a hell of a long time from just about 99% of the population. And if that has been you, tsk tsk.
Explain how the wealthy redistributed wealth to the top earners. Are you saying wealthy people earned more money than less wealthy people?

That's rather self-evident, isn't it? Of course wealthy people earn (transfer wealth) more than non-wealthy people.

And what's that final comment about? And if that has been you, tsk tsk. You're thinking people who are successful need to be admonished for it? In your world, starting a company that grows huge, employs thousands of people, produces things people want and voluntarily pay for... is a bad thing?

Quote:
Now, moving beyond "theft", redistribution can be something as easy as businesses paying a higher share of health insurance instead of passing it on to employees. That's not theft.
Businesses view the compensation they pay their employees as one number. For instance, to an employer, paying someone $80,000 in salary + $10,000 in benefits = paying $70,000 in salary + $20,000 in benefits.

Some people, like you apparently, would prefer the smaller salary and bigger benefits package. I would prefer the higher salary, smaller benefits, and the ability to then get a high deductible health plan, and cover basic stuff like checkups, lab work, etc. out of pocket.

Quote:
Redistribution could be increasing taxes to reduce college costs. I wouldn't consider that stealing. States used to pay a lot more in higher education funding, so really that would be returning to previous levels of funding.
So, two guys graduate high school the same year. One wants to go to an over-priced party school and drink beer for 4 years. The other goes to work to support his family. In your mind, the working guy should be paying higher taxes to subsidize the college brat.

Quote:
Do you want more examples?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
No. I see where you're coming from. Other people becoming mega-successful is bad. Sitting on your butt, watching others become successful, then expecting society (politicians) to take their productivity and "redistribute" it to people like you, is good.

When somebody else makes money, it does not hurt you. It obviously makes you angry and jealous, but it doesn't hurt you. I think you should spend more energy trying to improve your own situation honestly, and spend less time eyeing the wealth of others, trying to find a way to grab some of it for yourself.