View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Rick P

It's been about a year and a half since I showed this store display for what I consider the greatest of all gum card sets. This paper window sign is rare enough, but I can vouch for the fact that this came right out of an unopened box of Sport Kings found back in the seventies. It took about ten years to complete a trade for the empty box and the poster, and then we tackled the challenge to restore it as the gummed strips at the top and bottom were stuck together thanks to good old Oklahoma humidity. It measures 14" x 14". The card fronts are the same size as the real cards and the colors are striking.

What about the packs and the box? Well, it was the seventies and there was no way to resist the siren call of those packs. All were opened, yielding muliple Ruths, Cobbs, Thorpes, Dempseys and the like...an amazing sight as all had razor sharp corners and beautiful coloring and centering. The backs were stained as the slabs of gum were stuck to them (the gum tasted terrible, by the way!). Later, a cleaner was supposedly developed and I wouldn't be surprised if those are the high grade examples now slabbed. The cards were traded off long ago. I owned the display box and enough packs to fill a top tray; alas, I sold the box and most of the packs long ago but did find the photograph for your enjoyment. The poster, however, remains and each time I see it I have great memories.