View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 04:50 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
*I don't collect rookies* disclaimer, but it seems to me that there should be one rookie card: whichever card was actually issued first, and early in a players career, is the rookie card. Some players just don't have rookie cards. If a player didn't have a card until their 6th year, they don't have a rookie. If their first card is an ugly minor issue, it's still the rookie. Assigning the rookie card arbitrarily to whatever relatively early card hobbyists decide they like seems a bit absurd to me.
I most definitely agree with the thinking here but I've found there are conflicts that make it difficult to choose one card in some cases. What if there are multiple cards from their earliest year? What if the only image is on *cardboard* but isn't a traditional card (i.e. real photo postcard, matchbook, stamps, etc.)? I personally don't have an issue with there being multiple rookie cards. Other than for the registry craziness, why does it matter if there is more than one?

And yes, some of the decisions made on rookie cards were not good. But don't blame it all on early hobbyists as lots of the newer players have what appears to be an arbitrary card chosen as their rookie cards, probably by grading companies who set the tone with what ends up in their registry sets.

jeff