View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 03:06 AM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDan View Post
I have enjoyed the updates to your collection. Hopefully, you can show pictures of the display when complete. Good luck as you finish.
Thanks.
I try to talk a little bit about why I get certain cards, when I pick them up.
(admittedly, these aren't my usual PC pickups, these are all basically geared towards this specific Mantle display)

But I like hearing why collectors gravitate towards certain cards.
I have written about it several times, mostly on Blowout, but I tend to go for PC cards that have an "overall good appeal", not strictly perfect centering, not only sharp corners, etc....
Give me a good overall "7", over a "4" with perfect centering any day~!

Anyhow, it interests me why collectors gravitate towards certain cards, so whenever I pick something up, I like to expand a little as to why, or what I was thinking when I picked up said card.

This "Mickey Mantle project" has taught me to appreciate lower grade cards more than before.
I wanted a way to enjoy some Mantle cards, but I didn't want my more expensive Mantle cards just laying around the house, so thats why I decided to do this project.

I'm actually ending up spending more than I thought I would, by about 20%-30%, but I am doing it like I want.
I won't say what my last "bigger $$$" purchase is going to be, but it will be the most expensive part of the project. I'm only going to design this once, so I'll do it right and get the pieces I really want, or in the shape I am looking for.
After laying out some dimensions, and comparing it to other posters and framed things I have, I am going to be able to put 2 more cards in there than I thought.
So thats leaving me with a couple more cards to get.
Finding strong eye-appeal Mantle cards isn't easy, and it certainly isn't cheap either.
Thats why its taken me a little longer to finish than I had anticipated.
Hopefully within the next couple weeks I can pick up another card or two, and I will be just about done.

Thanks again Dan, and I will definitely have a few pictures of the completed project when the time comes.

More updates coming soon to this thread.

Successful deals with - "HCV123"/Howard Chasser, "ejstel" , "mzljapan" , "aronbenabe" , "Santo10Fan" , " Robextend", "rjackson44", "Wanaselja", "eliminator", "Dboneesq" , "Oneofthree67", "Lucas00", "ccre" , "D. Bergin" and several others.