View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 12:43 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCollector1 View Post
There are usually a few signed index cards floating around on Ebay at any given time to choose from.
Some have little "headshot" pictures, some are personalized, are "signed cut" scraps, are multi signed or various other little attributes. (Plus, although I will soon snag an autographed baseball card for my PC, I wanted an older style plain index card for this...... NOT a signed baseball card)
Its hard to tell from my poor cell phone picture, but this is an older example. I'm going to assume its from the late 70's or early 80s, judging from the index card and the toning. (Plus its in pen, and I wanted that over a pencil or Sharpie)
This one was close to what I was expecting in price too.

I'm not really sure if you watch the examples that come up for sale, but a couple months ago there was a VERY OLD Mantle signed slip of paper that came up. It was one of those with the very large "older style Mantle signed cursive M's", and you don't see the very old ones like that come up often. I figured it was from the 1950's.......
I really wanted to snag that one, but there was some absurd price on it, like $1,500 or something crazy. (Hell it may have even been in pencil too, I can't remember after looking at so many of these for months and months)

Looking back, I wish I'd have gotten 1-2 different cards. I really wanted to include a '55 Bowman, but it just didn't work out. (Plus I wanted to keep it on a semblance of a budget)
I might look over this stuff again and lay it all out, and if I'm not happy with it, who knows......... might just pick up a '55 Bowman yet.

It is cool to see how peoples auto evolve over time. The early 50s one is my favorite Mantle.

Pick up the 55 Bowman, it is one of his nicest looking cards IMO.