View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 11:09 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The raw one that is the subject had a better story and publicity.

Anyone can find sales to fit their analysis needs. If I want to and take long enough I am sure I could find some counter-examples. There is a reason almost all higher end cards are graded when sold. Generally speaking they bring more money. But that is only my, and most other AH's and collectors, opinions. There are always anomalies too. And lastly, I am well aware that sometimes a card can sell for more raw as someone might think it's a higher technical grade than it is and pay for that grade . So in those cases selling raw is better. This might be one of those exceptional cases. I can agree with that. But all of the other cards too......I doubt it.
it may have had better publicity, but that didn't help the number of bidders. It still had only 2 bidders. And, in fact, I would be willing to bet those two bidders are not even board members. I say that because at the time of their initial bids (according to the time stamps), the consensus was that the card was a fake.

And I didn't have to look too hard to find sales to fit my analysis. I simply took the last completed sale of a PSA 3. We could probably go back to the last 3, 4, 5 sales of this card in a PSA 3 and the data would be consistent.

My opinion that grading doesn't impact the final sale price is only for lower to lower/mid grade cards. I agree that mid grade cards and up should be graded to maximize the sale.