View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 10:22 PM
Tim Odeen

Default First tanking Failure?

ESPN posted this today about the Phillies - the first tanking failure.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...lls-us-tanking

However, they aren't even in the top two.

First, as a Washington state resident, the ULTIMATE tanking failure is the Seattle Mariners. Jerry Dipoto (who was run out of Anaheim) somehow still has power to make decisions in Seattle. Send him packing!

But as a Reds fan, I would argue they are the second failure. I know they made the playoffs in 2020, but let's be honest that the pandemic season shouldn't be considered 162 games. They floundered into the playoffs and then became the first playoff team to NOT score a run in a playoff series.

Farm talent hasn't developed for the Reds. Today's home grown star is Nick Senzel or Luis Castillo. Potential starting pitchers can't do any better than the relief corps. Jonathan India, Tyler Stephenson, and Jose Garcia can't displace the major leaguers who stand in their way. Hunter Greene has become a Tommy John liability. Nick Lodolo is still learning the ropes. They just non-tendered Archie Bradley! And the hub bub coming out of Cincinnati this off season is to trade away whatever talent is left in the minors for a one year rental of either Trevor Story or Francisco Lindor, without addressing the ginormous home left by Trevor Bauer's departure. You know what that signifies? Another rebuild in 2022.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo