View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 10:12 PM
DR
David R@tliff

This is the other auction house preview I wanted to see. There are so many awesome cards, it's hard to really appreciate them all. It's somewhat overwhelming when they're all together. It's a really great display if you're looking for ideas for your man cave at home.

Switching gears a little, I realize certain cards are definitely iconic cards. Even in the modern era, the 93 SP Jeter, 2011 Topps Update Trout, 89 Upper Deck Griffey. I get the appeal of owning the card, but not sure I get the prices - and yes, I've owned multiples of all three of these in the past, but don't own them anymore. Part of the reason? Check out the pop reports on these cards and then try and tell me how rare they are. Then look at cases like this - it's one where supply and demand don't seem to really work in my view, but I guess that's part of what makes this hobby fun.

This isn't the only case like this that I saw, just the one I took a picture of. There were several others that looked similar, full of 2011 Update Trouts.

In the "sad but true" department, I guess he's really selling all this stuff off? Maybe it shouldn't be a surprise, I don't imagine Rickey is really about "things", but still this is a pretty awesome item. For some reason I don't really like guys not having their trophies, but I guess at some level they "lived it", so maybe they don't need the "stuff" as reminders.

A couple other things that I found pretty impressive. BBCE has teased a "monster" for the show, I'd say they delivered. 1952 packs - WOW! They were still there on Friday, so at least for the moment price exceeds demand for unopened.

They also had this set, no idea if the price is right but as a fully graded set collector, it's always impressive to see these in person. And with the centering issues 1957s have, this is a pretty impressive accomplishment. This one will get you tied for 22nd on the set registry. Only 22nd? I'm a little surprised.