View Single Post
Old 04-13-2020, 11:42 AM

Samosa4u---- Thank you for your condolence and compassion. I find the great people of Canada are beautiful that way. Wishing you the very best always, sir.

I would encourage you to maintain your close relationship with your dear father. Not to be morbid or anything, but let's face it, none of us are guaranteed tomorrow.

Your inclusion of the 1967-68 Topps Bobby Orr is a valid one. The design, the unusual and attractive background color, and especially the super photo of Bobby. As you know, Topps was notorious for re-using photos to the point of wretched redundancy. That's one reason the 67-68 Bobby Orr is special, 'cause the photo was used there first, and the best occurrence of that photo. Moreover, this same season the Bruins were to become very good, very big, and very bad. They also changed their home uniform color to black, which added to their new persona. My Black Hawks general manager, Tommy Ivan, saw to that with his infamous trade in the spring of '67, dealing out Phil Esposito, Kenny Hodge, and Freddie Stanfield. Yes, we got Pit Martin, but nobody else panned out; whereas, Boston got players that BLOSSOMED MARVELOUSLY. As if the Bruins weren't getting "good enough", the 67/68 season marked the rookie year of Derek Sanderson; he was something else. Though he dished out a few cheap shots here and there, he was a darling to the Bruin fans. A special show ALWAYS began when a Bruin went to the penalty box, for their penalty killing line was gruesome to have to face down. Sinden would send out Sanderson at center, and Ed Westfall, and I now forget who else, but I believe Bobby Orr was among that sterling five. They were so crazy good at scoring short-handed goals and humiliating the power play of the opposition. Bruin fans relished their chip on their shoulder, constant aggressive play. The only time they really failed was went Montreal humiliated the Big Bad Bruins during the Stanley Cup semi-final. No one, except perhaps Montreal fans, saw that coming. Captain Jean Beliveau dazzled everyone and his swan song Cup was unforgettable.

Not to change the subject, but it reminds me of the Cubs trade of Lou Brock in '64. The thing is, the Cubs had years to do something with Lou, but they never had a vision for him, and he seemed to languish in Chicago. Once a Cardinal, Lou took off......... and finally stopped at Cooperstown.

Nearly everyone for the Black Hawks played in the shadow of Bobby Hull. Once gone, and heavily relied upon, Phil, Kenny, and Fred all meshed with Bobby Orr, and there were lots of others of course, and the Bruins best dynasty unfolded. Sorry, friend, long post, and I gotta eat and go to work.

Really, that's one reason Adam's choice of the 1954-55 Topps Gordie Howe is a good one, because that superb full-length photo of Gord just glows, and he's lookin' right into your eyes. I love it, though I don't own that beauty.

Take care, friend. --- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 04-14-2020 at 11:29 AM.