View Single Post
Old 09-04-2022, 10:42 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
I don't follow the Yankees, but I am intrigued by how much their lead has shrunk on the Rays.

Are they really gonna to choke it away? They were up like 15 games at the All Star break.

What is the reason?

They'll still get in as a Wild Card, but momentum going into the Playoffs is the key to winning it all in the PostSeason. You go in flat, you won't last.........unless you have fairly dominant #1-2 SP's. Do they?

Overall Dodgers probably taking it again, but injuries could change that.

Not to be a cynical Yankees fan...but it's looking ugly, and almost inevitable. It's not likely, but it probably wouldn't surprise me if they even blew a Wildcard spot.

They have a bunch of all or nothing guys in their lineup...who, outside of Judge, has been mostly nothing since the All-Star break. Take Judge out, and they're hitting about .200 as a team for the last month and a half or so.

Severino suffered another big injury, Nestor Cortes got hurt, and the Yankees traded one of their most reliable starters to the Cardinals, for an injured, glove first, little power, high strikeout 4th or 5th outfielder.

Jordan Montgomery by the way, since being sent to the Cardinals for a guy who might eventually be a slight upgrade over Aaron Hicks: 5-0, 1.47 ERA, 0.927 WHIP

BTW, they traded Montgomery after they already knew Severino was hurt and Cortes was going to run into innings restrictions very soon. They replaced him AND Severino in the pitching lineup by giving up a bunch of prospects to the A's, for a guy who had a 5+ ERA, pitching outside of Oakland.

Frankie Montas is now 0-2 in 5 starts with a 7.01 ERA and a 1.519 WHIP...since leaving the sweet confines of The Coliseum.

Oh, by the way, one of the "throw-ins" for Montas. JP Sears. He's already got 5 starts, while sporting a 2.63 ERA for the A's.

I could probably go on and on. Not one of Brian Cashman's better seasons as the GM this year.

I'm also saying this fully aware there's not many outside of the Tri-State area who are going to shed any tears for the downfall of the New York Yankees.