View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 12:31 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Well, you could definitely pick up the entire corporate section and move it to another room...or just drop it in the ocean with the 1952 Topps high numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjack View Post
Dependent on vaccines/masks/large indoor gatherings, maybe sometime next year, we could see the National morp into several large, regional shows. Less people, smaller venue, more (relatively speaking) safety.

I sense that many people believe the National, as is, has grown into something never intended by the original "trailblazers." Perhaps this give the collecting community the opportunity to get back to something closer to the original.
I understand the draw of one big show every year for several reasons I won’t go into. I do wonder how masks would inhibit the social piece of the show, which is a major one for most attendees. It’s a crappy situation for all involved. I do think that some careful planning and consideration could produce a pretty awesome virtual National. I know someone tried one, which I’m sure provided a lot of takeaways. It would require a patchwork (video, audio, IM) of, or possibly its own platform, but it could be cool. Not the same, but cool. You could still charge admission, dealer fees, everything. You could have speakers, lectures, special signings. You can still have breaks. They could run ads (commercials, basically) for corporate sponsors. These could offset the platform costs easily since you have no rent, union fees, etc to deal with. Yes it would be a logistical challenge, but anything that happens will be anyway, so what the hell.