Thread: Carlton World
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 04:26 PM

Default Good Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
So cool! Love your collecting niches outside the usual "major" sports. Do have any kind of fix on how many other collectors are going for boat, motorcycle, auto, etc., racing, and the other areas of collectibles you are constantly picking up neat pieces from?
Hey thanks Hank...fix on how many collectors in those areas?...well that's a good question...I'd say each area you mentioned "boat, motorcycle, auto, etc., racing" would vary from each other but motorsports in general seem pretty hot...at least the ancient stuff I like....I would say early motorcycle items from the teens seem to be leading the pack...which is probably due in part to the T.V. show American Pickers...Early Indian Motorcycle items especially because it's such an iconic brand...I'm talking trophies, programs, photos etc...

Pre-war boat stuff is what surprises me...the prices on boat signs is kind of shocking. Shocking because generally a market develops over time...How can it develop when there's nothing out there...As I alluded to in the Miss America paperweight article...I've hardly seen any great boat signs...yet when they come up blam...they go much higher than I expect...I would speculate it's because of the red hot sign market...that market is on fire...porcelain, tin, ...petro leading the way but other products are strong too...