View Single Post
Old 01-12-2023, 10:03 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
The one show I most regret not seeing was the Black and Blue tour back in 1980 with co-headliners Black Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult. But I decided no after hearing Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio as lead singer, after replacing Ozzie. They just weren't the same. Would have loved seeing them both together, with their original lineups.

Otherwise, aside from Ozzfest, maybe the best combo of acts I ever saw in concert together was a toss-up between a couple tri-bills. The Amboy Dukes (with Ted Nugent AND Meatloaf), Billy Preston, and Deep Purple headlining, or Foghat, Humble Pie (with Steve Marriott AND Peter Frampton), and The J. Giels Band headlining (before they went full-out commercial with their music). Having been able to see lineups like those, or the one you missed out on, in a club type venue would have been beyond believable.
Black Sabbath with Dio was odd. The albums were great, but live?
Very strange, I saw the movie from the Black and Blue tour, and BOC was way better mostly because dio just didn't do well, everything sort of clipped at the end of the words.
Went to the tour for Mob Rules, and it was the same. Plus, when he band came out for an encore it was a spinal tap sort of moment. Lights down, you can see people walk out in the dark, then questioning gestures and shrugs, they leave.... and like 10 minutes later with fans starting to get a bit annoyed... they come out again, with Dio sort of half out of the elflike outfit he had on. I think he was halfway to the limo when they went back and got him.