View Single Post
Old 02-01-2021, 02:21 PM
M@++ Cyganik

A couple items I picked up from the local “David Pressman Estate” auction last weekend. Pressman was a lifelong friend of Ted Williams after giving him batting tips as a 14 year old in 1948 and the auction overwhelmingly had hundreds of Ted Williams, Carl Yastrzemski and other Red Sox signed photos and items.

Pair of cleats attributed to and signed by Carl Yastrzemski. The Wilson “Riteweight” brand seemed to be popular in the late 50s/early 60s so they would have been from his early career. These definitely have good overall wear consistent with proper use and seem to be Yaz’s size 11, though finding proof in B&W photos would be nearly impossible. There were two other pairs of later model cleats that matched photos of what Yaz wore in the 1970s that I missed out on so I’m fairly confident Yaz wore them at some point.

Rare 1969-1972 pitcher’s bat. Marty Pattin pitched for the Red Sox in 1972 & 1973 and hit 2 HRs in 1972, but never batted again with the introduction of the DH in 1973. Bat shows great use and looks like a ‘17’ was scribbled over Pattin’s ‘33’, which could be Cecil Cooper’s number considering the Red Sox provenance. Since the bat itself is from the 1969-1972 timeframe it’s possible it could be from his time as a Seattle Pilot (winning their first game in franchise history on Opening Day) or Milwaukee Brewer.

Pressman did photography in the 1980s and had Williams, Yaz and many of the Sox stars of the day sign super high quality 16x20 prints of his work. I’ll upload better photos but these are of Ted Williams at the 1982 Old-Timers Game and Yaz’s final game in 1983.