View Single Post
Old 09-21-2022, 03:05 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Just not seeing it. I don't think anyone considers him the greatest second basemen of all time (though I actually think you could make the argument without stretching TOO hard, but it would have to include a lot of hypotheticals about his years lost to the war and the "gentleman's agreement")

Unless you think me having him at 3rd all time is ludicrously high, how can he be overrated at all, let alone the MOST overrated second basemen of all time, which is what putting him on your list represents. Shouldn't that "honor" be saved for someone who is ranked 10 or 20 spots too high as opposed to maybe one or two spots too high?
I would not rank him third among 2B. I don’t see a way to do that in the numbers without ignoring longevity entirely. I don’t give credit for the war years, to anyone. College and the war years create his gap (I’m giving him credit for his Negro League career). I don’t think I can reasonably count years that did not happen in reality. I’d have to find my notes but I had him around 10 last time I really deep dived into the 2B. I like Jackie, I’m fine with his cards selling for more than his talent as a great historical figure, but I think he is greatly overrated in the public eye. Ask casuals who the greatest historical players are at any position. They won’t say Eddie Collins (who I put #1 among 2B). His fame produces an inflation of his on the field performance.