View Single Post
Old 09-21-2022, 03:46 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I would not rank him third among 2B. I don’t see a way to do that in the numbers without ignoring longevity entirely. I don’t give credit for the war years, to anyone. College and the war years create his gap (I’m giving him credit for his Negro League career). I don’t think I can reasonably count years that did not happen in reality. I’d have to find my notes but I had him around 10 last time I really deep dived into the 2B. I like Jackie, I’m fine with his cards selling for more than his talent as a great historical figure, but I think he is greatly overrated in the public eye. Ask casuals who the greatest historical players are at any position. They won’t say Eddie Collins (who I put #1 among 2B). His fame produces an inflation of his on the field performance.
I don't think Jackie is the greatest 2B of all time, my vote would go to Hornsby, and it's not even close, and this is despite the fact that Hornsby was an extremely unlikeable character.

I would not say that Jackie is overrated by any stretch of the imagination. I also don't think he's underrated.

Last edited by Rad_Hazard; 09-21-2022 at 03:52 PM.