View Single Post
Old 09-26-2022, 06:43 PM
James M.

I think there's a divide between players that are overrated by fans, versus players that are overrated by sportswriters, nevertheless I will attempt to answer the question at hand.

Catcher: Rick Ferrell

Not an exceptional hitter by any stretch of the means, an average defender by the numbers. Got in to the Hall on the veterans committee, which has been known for their skewing of votes.

First Base: Jim Bottomley

Another selection of the veterans committee. A very solid, pre-war player, but one that I can't really get behind in terms of the Hall of Fame. I will say had he been able to replicate his numbers from his twenties, he'd be much more deserving.

Second Base: Bill Mazeroski

An excellent defender through and through for the pirates, but we all know why he made the Hall; one incredible home run.

Third Base: Freddie Lindstrom

Similar reasons as Catcher and First Base, a Vet Committee darling.

Shortstop: David Bancroft

See Above

Left Field : Bo Jackson

I thoroughly admire Bo as an athlete, and his contributions to College/Pro Football. But people talk "What If" with him all the time when it comes to baseball and the guy hit for a terrible average.

Center Field: Earle Combs

A product of the Yankees media hype machine, that emerged around the time of Ruth, he does not belong in the Hall

Right Field: Roger Maris

He was good, Not great. He did have a couple of Great Seasons though. Deserves recognition, undoubtedly, but does not belong in the Hall, even though some people are calling for it.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.