View Single Post
Old 07-06-2021, 10:20 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Steve,

I was thinking you could vacation in the Chicago area this year. The National ends August 1 at The Rosemont and 11 days later the APS show moves in. I am debating on which show to attend. I will probably sell to clients at the food court during The National while I would just buy at the GASS. I enjoy digging through the miscellaneous boxes some dealers bring. The last time I went was Richmond a few years ago. Drove down from just south of D.C. and parked on the street for free. Very low key versus the National. I did finally get to see something I would have really wanted when I was giving lectures on and collecting Civil War items - a CSA Mesilla, NM cover.
That would be fun, but just not something I can do right now.
Both hobbies have gotten a bit pricy, and kids are both expensive and time consuming!

In stamps, I actually sort of focused on something for once. I collect the 1870's officials and their plate varieties. Used to be no competition, and barely any recognition from dealers, the perfect combination. But the last few years I haven't seen much on ebay that I needed that was also reasonably priced. And on the basic stamps I'm out of inexpensive ones I need... Probably time to look for another specialty.