View Single Post
Old 04-11-2021, 05:55 PM
J@mes In.gram

Mine was a green one...I filled it with 1968 Topps team sets. My extra or double even triple 1968 Topps (and 1967, 1969, 1970 and some 1971 and 1972 before I moved on to model cars, comic books and Hardy Boys books) went into shoe boxes. All of which I kept under my bed. When I turned 19, and was failing miserably at Memphis State University (now U of M) with their tuition money, my dad and mom sat me down at the dinner table one evening. My dad said, "Son, it's time you got a full-time job, and got your own apartment. College just isn't for you. We love you, we're there for you, but it's time." All those cards were still under the bed. But I moved out, and moved on. I quit MSU and my part-time job at K Mart, and spent 4 years at a wastewater plant in Memphis. Then I quit wastewater and went into the Navy (for 4 years that turned into 26). Home on leave in the 1980s, my best (and still to this day best) friend Louis found a shoe box of his cards while rummaging the attic of his parent's house (where he grew up)...all stars from the 1950s and 60s, and all in amazingly good condition. I went with him to the flea market at the Fairgrounds, to a card seller/buyer's booth, who lit up like a Christmas tree over Louis's cards. As he explained, "What I can pay for these is far less than they are worth. But here is my offer for them. $500." Louis took it. I immediately went home, and asked my mom if my stuff was still in my old room. "I asked you over and over what you wanted me to do with your old things. You said to do whatever. So I got rid of that stuff". Well, needless to say, it has taken decades to get back what I walked away from, including a foolish sale of some of my re-acquired cards in the late 1990s, when money was tight, for a little of nothing, pennies on the dollar, much like my friend Louis. But I finally learned from that, and vowed never to do anything like that again. But yes, at one time as a kid I had the green locker, filled with mint 1968 Topps cards, all of them obtained pack by pack...