View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 03:49 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
the 1973 Topps Pin Up test issue, which includes a number of HoF'ers in the 24 card set. This version is a PSA 8. This pin up is very expensive and not easy to find at this grade. There is 1 graded as a PSA 9 (I believe one of our members owns this one!).

One of my favorite and most difficult cards to find is the next example...the 1973 Topps Comics (another test issue by Topps). This card is a PSA 6.5 and is very expensive and very hard to find. This set had 24 different cards with plenty of HoF'ers. There is one graded as a PSA 8. Finding this one proved very difficult. I am sure there are a few of you that have one but wow, this card is amazing. Next is the Topps Brooks and OPC Brooks.

The Topps card is plentiful and very affordable at the PSA 9 grade...the PSA 10 has not proven easy to find (8 PSA 10s are out there!). The OPC version is a PSA 7 with one graded higher.

Finally, you see the Topps Candy Lids, which is not terribly difficult to find and another Topps "experiment." There were 55 lids in this set with 20 HoF'ers. This example is a PSA 5 with 7 graded higher. Accompanying the Lid is the proof, which PSA suprisingly graded (this is the only one graded...my gut says they will never grade another "proof").
There are several of my favorite Brooksie cards in ‘73. The pin up is one of them as I really like the photo used of Brooks holding multiple bats. Go ahead and send me your example Scott...

You have to love the comic; doesn’t get much better than that.

I go back and forth on a favorite regular issue card and the ‘73 Topps usually comes out on top. Simply the BEST Brooks picture used.

Maybe I can’t see it, but I don’t see a grade on the lid proof. I guess these get a lower grade due to the tab being bent.