View Single Post
Old 05-01-2021, 06:46 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Most Orioles collectors are familiar with the Rochester Red Wings 1981 WTF card set primarily due to the inclusion of the Cal Ripken Jr. card.

However most collectors don't realize that one of the cards in this set has a tough variation.

From the web site Ripken in the Minors:

"When Steve Kozel received permission to print the 1981 WTF Rochester Red Wings set is came with a condition. The condition was that Steve would provide 3,000 cards of Doc Edwards for an Eastman Kodak Underprivileged Day during the 1981 season. The quote included a quote on the back from Edwards. In reality, Doc did not want to be bothered so the quote was attributed to him but chosen by Steve and then Co-General Manager Bill Terlecky. It was the first time the Kodak logo was ever put on a trading card and the people at Kodak were not happy. For whatever reason, possibly rain, the cards were never handed out. In March 2011 a copy surfaced at auction. Kevin Johnston of Clubhouse in Rochester sold the card. Kevin was Clubhouse Manager for the Wings in 1981 and had no clue how he received the card. The card was printed on the same sheets as the 1981 WTF set but has a picture cropped different from its WTF counterpart."

I was fortunate to acquire one of these cards from Kevin Johnston:

Bill,

Wow. I have never heard of or seen that card before. Thanks for adding another card to my wantlist..

I wonder how many are left? I would love to find one for my minor league collection. What do you guess for value?