View Single Post
Old 01-09-2023, 07:07 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
All the same, tired poses used for 8X10s signed on the show circuit over the last 40 years gets to be a bit repetitive. Nobody likes that. It's fully understandable that people have soured on them. Walking up to a dealer's table to see a binder of 150 8X10s with heavy duplication of a few common HOF names and familiar poses is an exercise in boredom.

Conversely, find me an 8X10 of a HOF player who died over 60 years ago and it's an entirely different feeling altogether. It's pretty hard to tire of something rarely encountered. I'm not talking Ruth, who is common in this format vs. most players who have been deceased for so long. Those don't tend to excite me. Give me an 8X10 of Kid Nichols, Eddie Collins...anything that you don't see very often.

And here's a hint to dealers: Don't put 50 copies of the same signed pose into one binder. People aren't going to be tempted to buy something that appears as common as toilet paper unless you're having a $1 sale. Idea #2: Have you been lugging those 100 Lou Boudreau 8X10s to every show since 1989 with no takers? Do yourself a favor and start giving them away to each kid under 10 who walks by your table. Your small gesture might help bring the love back for this dying medium to the demographic that is most needed to carry it forward.
I agree that signed photos of more modern players(from the 80's on) seems to have cooled off. In part because autograph shows, autographs are events( store openings, car dealerships, etc) the autographs are so so common.
I agree that pre 1980 and from players passed away is still strong because of the rarity
Signed cards up until a few years ago was not as in demand as it is now and the prices are thru the roof

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph