View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagevault13 View Post
Since I began collecting in the mid-70s the 1952 Topps cards have always seemed a little mythical to me due to their place in history as Topps' first set and "THE MANTLE". I realize many think the 52s are overrated and that there are better sets, but this set just absolutely fascinates me. I have collected other cards through the years, but always avoided the 52s because I felt they were out of reach for a collector on a budget. Despite this, I never lost my obsession with these cards and have decided to begin my "bucket list project" - the 1952 Topps set (VG or better). I am 48 years old and realize if I am going to begin this on a limited budget I need to begin as this will take a number of years.

To tackle the task, I am taking an unusual approach. I am trying to complete the low number set, #1-310, but may decide to tackle the high #s later. That is down the road a few years. I have broken the set into "mini sets" by collecting a series at a time. This keeps the goal more attainable and I can enjoy milestones along the way. At the beginning of January, I began my quest. To date, I have acquired #s 1-10 as well as Gil Hodges. My goal is to complete the first series, 1-80, in 2014. I am trying to get black backs, but will buy a red back if it is a good deal. I am not consumed with getting both back variations.

I don't see many threads about the 52s so there may not be much interest, but I will post updates as I proceed through my journey. I welcome any suggestions or comments from fellow 52 fans or collectors.
What about the Topps 1951 Red Backs and Blue Backs.