View Single Post
Old 09-26-2022, 11:39 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The bold part should have let all us collectors back them know there was so many around they would never be worth big money. I know back in the late 80s- early 90s bigger dealers could buy huge lots of specific players directly from the manufacturers. I don't remember the year anymore but I seen a large table covered in stacks of Don Mattingly cards fresh of the press that all went to one buyer. I was told this was very common for star players at the time. It also explains why sometimes when you opened a box of cards you got little or no star players in it.

I never heard of dealers buying stacks of stars directly from the manufacturers. They did however bust open tons of Vending to sell big lots to player collectors and other dealers.

I had stacks and stacks of 1987 Topps Mike Greenwell Rookies I picked up early on from SCD dealers, for about a quarter a pop, just before his breakout season in 1988.

I lived in Red Sox country, so I was able to flip them regularly for a buck or two at shows before injuries and mediocrity caught up to him.

Also distinctly remember the 87 Donruss and Fleer Greenwells selling for double and triple the Topps versions, but being much harder to get in the quantity you could get the Topps cards in.

I think that's why I consider the 1987 Topps issue, to be the first real, honest to goodness junk wax release. They made a lot of cards in 1986....but I think 1987, with those wood grained borders was on a completely other level.