View Single Post
Old 03-18-2024, 05:28 PM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Member Bumpus Jones (Chris Gamble) is the person who shared this picture of the description with me. He shared it on our Facebook group. I'm not sure what book he has that he dug it out of.
I think I read that this was in the 1982 Reds Yearbook. I have to wonder about how accurate the writer of that blurb was - Livengood played for the 1939 Reds, not the 1938 team - and how in the world would they get the information that only 5 Livengood cards are in collections, especially in the pre-internet says of the early '80s? Seems quite the reach.

I've heard the rumor of a dairy distributor too, but so far I've not seen evidence of that. I've tried searching the Cincy newspapers for 1938 & 1939 and seen no mention of cards being distributed, wither by the team or an entity like a dairy; of course that proves nothing.

You'd think that the dairy (maybe the French Bauer dairy in Cincy) would have some kind of advertisement on the cards somewhere.
Also - if the dairy distributed the cards weekly, how so? By mail-in requests? With delivery of dairy products?

Trying to figure out the distribution of the W711-1 sets is quite a puzzle!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the 1938 & 1939 distribution. Some cards issue in both years have statistical/biographical changes on the back (Berger, Derringer, Frey, Goodman, Gamble, Lombardi, McKechnie, Myers, Riggs, Walters) - and Vandy has two different fronts - yet there are several that were supposedly issued in both years, yet I've seen absolutely no difference on the backs (Craft, Davis, Gowdy, Hershberger, McCormick, Weaver and maybe Grissom).

Did the distributor just have a bunch of extras around for these guys and thus didn't re-print them? Or were they really only issued in one year and not the next?

As you can tell I've become more than slightly obsessed about this set!

Tom

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club. www.oldbaseball.com