View Single Post
Old 11-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I was 9 the year he broke the record. Hank Aaron was THE MAN as far as I was concerned and this card and the subsequent Hank Aaron Special cards from the set were the first group of cards I can recall actively chasing.

Pulled this one out of a pack in 1976 in New York City. Slabbed it years later, obviously:

When I was 12 after we'd just moved from NYC to LA, my parents took our family to some friends' house. They had grown kids so I had nothing to do but when I mentioned that I collected cards, the mom said that they had a big box of them in the attic and I could take what I wanted. I spent the rest of the day gathering 1950s-1960s HOFers from the box, baseball and football. At the end when we were ready to go they just gave me the box. It was about 2' x 2' and mostly filled with cards randomly thrown in. I dumped the whole lot onto the floor of my room that evening and started sorting. When I reached the bottom of the pile I found one of these, which I later upgraded. Man, was I excited. Still a favorite card:

This has always been my favorite Clemente card, no reason, I just like it:

I realize I am posting a prewar card but I do love the colors on it, even more than the T206:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...