View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 08:48 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
My dad took me to a game at Olympia some time in the 50s, and Howe was not playing due to an injury. But as we entered the stadium, there he was at the front gate, meeting and greeting the fans.
As I got older, I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Howe on a few more occasions. Each time he treated me with as much respect as I had for him. A true gentleman, and great athlete.
True story as some of you Michiganders might already know. Howe and Kaline were good friends, and Kaline invited Howe to batting practice in Tiger stadium. Howe, the athlete he was, put a couple in the upper deck in left field. I am sure the BP pitchers took a lot off their pitches, but still a great accomplishment.
I heard a story, and I don't know if I should even repeat as I don't know if it is true or not, but allegedly Gordie Howe grabbed Mario Lemieux by the throat one time and told Mario, the fans have made you the wealthy man you are today after Mario refused to sign some autographs?

These are the only 2 Gordie Howe cards I own. I was recently thinking about getting another one, and especially one for my Beehives collection but don't know if that will be possible now?

Last edited by irv; 04-05-2017 at 01:58 PM.