View Single Post
Old 05-17-2023, 08:45 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Could be different in different locations. In the location I live in the part I made bold has to be worded as using cash gives you a discount from the normal price. It is illegal to charge more than the normal price for using a card.

Several places I know have a minimum amount for using a card. It is also why most things cheap are now expensive. Too many people buying a $.75 candy bar or soda and nothing else using a card. The store would actually lose money on those transactions so now $.75 items are $2.
My area has had the "discount for cash" at gas stations for decades. Same thing about the wording, which has always struck me as a big loophole, since there isn't any real difference between a discount for cash and charging more to use a card besides how the signs are worded.

I did once see a place with a discount for cash, with a second sign saying debit cards were not cash, and a third sign saying checks were not cash either.
I wanted to know the story, but it seemed a bit of a sore point, so I didn't ask.