View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Default Favorite Ty Cobb & Babe Ruth Cards

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Gary B.:

I certainly can understand your thinking when reviewing the Cobb and Ruth cards which some others have. But it is their collections, it pleases them, and they have a right to brag about them. Actually, all appear quite BragWorthy.

This does not differ from you or I liking what we have collected, and feeling that our assemblies are also quite BragWorthy, even if our collections are less advanced than those of others. Because each card has been carefully selected based on our wants and the dollar comprimizes appropriate at the time.

As we hear of the cards of others, recognize that not all cards are Mint. Perhaps everyone has (sometimes greater, sometimes lesser) dollar comprimizes that they also face.

Personally, I find it quite enjoyable hearing what others collect. It often gives me ideas which I incorporate or modify for my own collection.

Here is what I have: Cobb - plans only - a display which shows the batting catagories and his all time standing in each. That is: for hits there is a Rose card, doubles a Speaker, Rose, and a Musial card, triples a Crawford, Inside the park HRs a Crawford and a Leach, SB .... etc.

Each of these players will be displayed (along with others as appropriate which I have probably forgotten) in their own catagory as those whose lifetime record has bested Cobb. Of course, Cobb will be displayed (T3) below the group. I just picked up a very special (to me) Musial from Lipsett. "All" that remains to complete this grouping is a Billy Hamilton, a Crawford, and the Cobb. I may want to upgrade the Speaker as well, but I have to find one that I really like. Maybe the CJ.

I have a couple of Ruths. One for my 500+ HR set, a R315 ex+ if you ignore the glue residue (one of the cheapest Ruths). The other a nice blue w517 PSA 5 - which fits my color coded .600+ sluggers group (another of the cheapest Ruths). Next will be a w516: knock kneed, pigeon toed, but not bowlegged - throwing lefty.

Wish I could offer scans; maybe when my wantlist becomes a lower priority.