View Single Post
Old 03-04-2023, 03:34 PM

Default New addition to my Johnny Vander Meer showcase

Admittedly, this is a cross-over 1938-1942 Brooklyn Dodgers item that I didn't even know existed until just recently.

Here is a Brooklyn Dodgers Larry McPhail souvenir baseball that is a perfect complimentary piece for my Johnny Vander Meer showcase that is a tribute to his back-to-back no-hitters in 1938.

Vandy famously pitched his second consecutive no-hitter on 6/15/38, the 1st night game at historic Ebbets Field.

In order to display the ball, I improvised and created a custom stand out of a Vandy commemorative silicone wristband, and the round case used to hold a set of 1993 King B collectible jerky discs.

Mercurial, hard-drinking Larry McPhail was an interesting figure during his tenure in MLB. While with the Reds he brought night baseball with lights to Crosley Field. When he became President of the Dodgers a few years later, he brought night baseball to Brooklyn as well.

One additional innovation that McPhail pioneered was introducing interesting die-cut tickets to special games at Brooklyn.
Dodgers Opening Day games in 1939 and 1940 featured a baseball and catcher's mitt in the ticket design.
The night games in the late 1930's featuring the die-cut lightbulb design seen in my Vandy showcase below were brilliant, IMHO.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 03-05-2023 at 07:36 AM.