View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Jon Canfield

Another interesting piece of history... and very rare. It's one of only 3 known surviving original D-Day landing maps. The story of this one is incredible. My grandfather drove a landing craft on the day of the invasion. During one of his troop runs, the boat in formation near him was hit by heavy fire and was destroyed before reaching the beach. After dropping his men off, my grandfather brought his craft along the side the stranded craft, rescuing the injured men that had survived. One of those men was my grandfather's good friend and bunk mate, who was the pilot of the destroyed craft. His injuries proved grave and he passed away aboard the ship later that morning. His personal effects were given to my grandfather to ensure his wife received them. When his pockets were emptied, the doctors failed to take the landing map that was in his pocket and it was given to my grandfather with the rest of the effects. As the morning progressed and the wave of troop landing subsided, all of the maps were collected and destroyed so as to limit the risk of certain information getting out. My grandfather, having received the additional map with his friend effects, returned that, and tucked his own away in his footlocker. Later in his life, my grandfather gave me all of his military items and medals, and I treasure them to this day.