View Single Post
Old 05-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
In 1965, the Mudcat Grant card has a blue border, while all the other Twins are purple. I suspect it's because Grant's former team (Indians) also had a blue border. But in 1967, they did the same thing - this time making Killebrew's team designation yellow instead of green. No idea why this mistake occurred. It always bothered me as a kid.
The Grant card bothered me to no end also. Yes his former team had their cards with a blue rather than purple border, but Mudcat was traded to Minnesota in June of 1964-- he had double digit wins for the Twins that half season. There was plenty of time to note the change when Topps printed the '65 set, which managed to get the right teams and color combos for the players who went to Cleveland in that trade. Especially bad since Grant wasn't even a low number in the 1965 set that might have gone to printing before being noticed. They just simply blew it.

It also bothers me to this day that Topps elected not to include any '65 World Series cards in its 1966 set-- the only year in about a twenty year stretch that lacks those Fall Classic recaps. Apart from celebrating the Twins first WS, it also deprived collectors of a couple more Koufax cards. Thanks for nothing Topps.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.