View Single Post
Old 10-10-2022, 08:33 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
  1. Was this an auction or a Buy It Now listing?
  2. If the OP was willing to take $25, he would have simply accepted that offer. The "buyer" offering $20 later in the process doesn't really make sense. The seller didn't accept a higher offer, so why send a lower one?
  3. Sellers on eBay have a "Tasks" section of their seller page. Within that section, there's a "Suggested actions" item. Some people, myself included, will routinely clear this by sending offers.
  4. Buyers shouldn't get offended because the offer they got was "unsolicited" and/or not a steep enough discount. Someone offered to sell something cheaper than it was before. $45 to $39 is a discount of 13.33% That doesn't seem like a valid cause for angst.
  5. The seller then went down to $35, a total discount of 22.22% Again, this doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to have done.

Candidly, I would have blocked the buyer, too. The unconventional negotiating "tactic" makes no sense to me. If I wasn't going to take $25 for that, why would I take $20? If it was a typo, then I've lost a customer...a tire-kicker who apparently loves to spend time haggling and doesn't spend time making sure they've typed their two-digit offer correctly.
I can understand that logic more if the potential buyer approached the seller first and initiated the contact. But not when the seller started it. It is hilarious how some people can only see this from one side of the story, and if it isn't from their side, the party they started the negotiation with must automatically be bad and worthy of blocking. Un-effing-believable!!!!!!

Truth seems to be we don't really know the complete other side of the story as I don't believe the OP ever asked the other party why they came back with an even lower price offer. I had already wondered if it was possibly a typo and they meant to type $30. I don't know, and apparently neither does anyone else. But if some people want to rush to judgements without knowing the full story from both sides, so be it.