Thread: Collector Nerds
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 07:18 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Has anyone else noticed most of the highest bid items in any Hakes Auction are either Pokémon or Star Wars? I don’t get it. Comic books I can kind of understand but not Pokémon or Star Wars. Any nerds here?
So I think this has a lot to do with the "New Money" that has entered the fold, at least on the side of Pokemon. You have to realize a lot of the younger, new collectors grew up with Pokemon. It was massively popular for two generations of children. Between the games and the TV show, and all the other forms of media. Some of the cards from the original 1st edition set, or the set with "shadowless" holographic cards are exceedingly rare. For an example there are only 54 PSA 10 Shadowless Charizard cards. So the rarity, plus the age of the new money, plus the fact that most of these younger people do not know the scandals that have gone on with the Grading companies, equals big bucks.

Star Wars has always been popular, and has grown with the recent movies (regardless how bad they are) along with all the new TV shows either produced or being produced, so it does not surprise me.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.