View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 03:14 PM
J@son Per1

I collect Brooklyn Dodger cards a bit. The first time I laid eyes on the '52 Topps Preacher Roe I wanted to have it. I just think it's a spectacular looking card. As far as Willie Mays goes, I always thought the '52 Topps Mays was one of the most beautiful cards in existence. I started ratcheting up my game toward the end of last year and got super lucky and stumbled into a PSA 2 Mays, well centered, in November in one of those "deal or no deal" Facebook forums and got a ridiculous deal. The card has basically quadrupled in value since then, which is awesome, but I don't see myself selling it.

I bought a Pafko SGC 2.5 early in my return to collecting. It's just such an "i-word card" and I was surprised that a decent looking copy could be had for a couple of hundred bucks. This card seemed so unattainable when I was a kid.

There are other '52s I'd love to own. Mantle for one, lol. Peewee Reese is another. Jackie Robinson would be very nice. But two of those three cards are pretty much unattainable for my budget and my focus is on completing the '41 Playball set these days.

I guess it goes without saying that the '52 Topps set is amazing, both in terms of design and historic significance. Nice thread.