View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 08:15 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1952 Topps Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
After Ted Z pointed out that the partial sheet is the bottom right corner of the 1952 Topps high number sheet I figured I would try to figure out the complete 1952 Topps high number sheet. I found two more 25 card partial sheets on Google and after a little investigating it dawned on me that the whole sheet was printed in numerical order. I'm sure this is already known to many but I didn't know it. The top fifty are #311 Mantle to #360 Crowe, then the bottom fifty are the double prints of #311 Mantle, #312 Robinson, #313 Thomson and then #361 Posedel to #407 Mathews.

Hi Cliff Bowman....interesting coincidence, since I am about to talk of the BOWMAN cards. I applaud your research on this. As I have already said on this subject.....
in 1982 I was fortunate to see a complete 100-card sheet of 1952 TOPPS Hi #s. My recollection is in agreement with your simulated 1952 sheet arrangement.

Here is an illustration of my simulated BOWMAN uncut 6th series sheet. This is not guess-work. I visited with the BOWMAN's design Executive, George Moll, in 1982.
He showed me many of BOWMAN's uncut sheets. And he talked about the printing process. Zabel Brothers, Inc. was BOWMAN's printer in Philadelphia. They printed
the 1948 - 1952 cards using a 4-color process with a 38-inch (track width) press. To compete with TOPPS in 1953, they switched to a larger press (43-inch track).

TOPPS printed their 1952 cards using a similar process, but on a wider press (53-inch), which accommodated two adjacent 100-card sheets (similar to my BOWMAN
example here).

l<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 38-inches -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->l

TED Z

T206 Reference