View Single Post
Old 04-06-2021, 11:16 AM
Steve Birmingham

But that mitigating sale would be based on peoples belief that PSA was right.

A sale for a profit even with the card being claimed as trimmed despite PSAs faulty opinion damages all of "us" in many ways. Admittedly those ways are often intangible, for example, the falsely inflated prices of cards erroneously (to be generous) graded 8-10 also falsely inflates the prices of lesser unaltered cards which at some point financially locks many out of the hobby.
This is different from a simple supply and demand price increase, because it's based on a foundation of lies.

as the prices become higher and nearly everyone relies on those faulty opinions the perceived value of ungraded cards is reduced. The old "if it isn't graded by now it must be fake" attitude promoted by the same people charging for that false opinion. That means that anyone not wanting so support incompetence at best or malfeasance at worst must also accept a reduced value.
For an example, I have a couple 86 Fleer basketball packs. I know they are not opened. I was the original purchaser.
If they grade a typical grade- 8- they would probably sell for 5-6000 each based on recent Ebay sales. Ungraded, they might make 1000. So that as I see it is 10K in damages if I sell them. I could grade them, but don't want to support PSA.
But realistically I have no choice. And that forced lack of any realistic choice would cost between 200-1000 more depending on what service level if any they will accept right now.
So my choice is between taking what for me is a serious hit on value, supporting a company I believe more and more is not merely hopelessly incompetent, but crooked, or waiting.

If I were to die or have a sudden need to sell my collection, the waiting choice is removed. More "damages"

The loss to the greater "us" is more still, as fewer unaltered examples will exist all the time.