View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Default A Defense of Baseball

Posted By: Max Weder

I recently purchased William Everett's Thine Not Mine on ebay. After 20 or so years of my looking for the book and only knowing of 1 copy, 3 have showed up on ebay this year.

There would seem to be substantially more baseball in this 1891 book then in the earlier books Double Play and Changing Base.

The ebay seller added this information on Everett

The author was the son of famous 19th Century orator Edward Everett (who shared the podium with Lincoln on the day of the Gettysburg Address) , and was an early fan of baseball who wrote the first substantive work of fiction (after an earlier children's toy book) to feature baseball in the plot , a boy's book titled "Changing Base". He published a second similar book called "Double Play" in 1871 , and this , "Thine , Not Mine" , is his third such book , although it is subtitled as a sequel to the first . There is in existance an extremely rare pamphlet by him , "A Defense of Baseball" , known only by a single copy in Harvard Library's Rare Baseball Memorabilia Collection . He was a graduate of Harvard College (1859) . The theme of character development through sportsmanship and baseball playing carries the plot along on in several chapters of this book , apparently much more so than the original "Changing Base" book .

Has anyone seen or heard of this pamphlet?