View Single Post
Old 08-23-2004, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Default Uploading for Net 54 type 2 collection: Getting rid of those little red x's

Posted By: The Other One (Julie)

that I deduced that he wanted to be a TEACHER, so there. Thanks for adding the three things to your list, Ben. I don't know why--I only had one thing on your OTHER list, and it didn't bother me, and of course I like to see rare cards that I wouldn't otherwise get to see (and I already have thread #1 saved in FIVE DIFFERENT PLACES).

I actually have FOUR things on your list--but 3 are 20th century! I'm angling for a 5th--because I've always wanted one, so you'd think I'd be pleased. I don't know why--it just suddenly struck me as--elitist (did anyone happen to notice Paul's post in passing?).

The list also made me wonder (I hope someone besides me is interested in all this stuff) if maybe I'd been going about collecting wrong. I tend to get little PATCHES of fairly common 19th century cards that I really like--22 (big patch) of Old Judges, 8 Mayos, 8 N162s, 5 Tobin Lithographs, 5 "pages" from an A35 album, 18 Scrapps (good lord, who would want 18 Scrapps?) 9 or 10 Harper's Woodcuts. Now if I HADN'T wanted all those Mayos, Old Judges, N162s, etc. and just settled for one of each, I could probably have gotten a Duke's, a Kalamazoo Bats, a S.F. Hess California League, a Cameo Pepsen pin, and some of the cards in the last thread: a N167 Old Judge, an N173 ditto.

I just felt like Id been told I'd been doing things wrong, mainly. And NOT having scads of dough, it's often a choice between one card or another(if that! it's been a month since I bought a card)--not both. And more often than not, I choose to add to a set I already have some of--like an Old Judge Delahanty, because he doesn't look too athletic in his Mayo suit.