View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 04:26 PM
John Clowes

Oh my, that's a great question. We could apply that to the state of MLB and its PED issue and the answer would probably be the same - fame, admiration, envy, jealousy. Possibly money. All of those things, probably driven by testosterone. I have very limited involvement with the registry, and about 5 years ago had a #1 Pirates team Set. For a short period of time, yes I felt a little pride in that accomplishment even in that very narrow niche. Very quickly, my set was overtaken by one of the very "notable" collectors with a lot more available resources. Overnight, it seemed, that a few of the big collectors had invaded the team set category, leveraging their master sets and re-using those cards in the team set category. After realizing what was happening, my desire to go after higher grade cards dropped to near-zero and I am now very content to chase down low to mid-grade vintage Pirates. No more registry competition for me. If I could ever offer any advice to PSA in regard to the registry, it would be to take away the ability to "double-use" a card in two categories on the registry. It would create more opportunities for the small-time collector to have a place and some recognition on it.

Last edited by john.clowes; 08-29-2013 at 04:47 PM.