View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 08:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default W501-2

Hi Rhett
Thanks for chiming in. I was hoping you would. To me, the TPGs labeling these as W575s is just wrong. Compare them to the real ones. That said I guess it is what it is. Many of us are able to do better than TPGs on identification. A new TPG that understands vintage idiosyncrasies would be nice. I am sure that is a pipe dream though. It's too bad as most hobbyists will think they are in fact W575s because a supposed trusted source said it. I agree with the W501-2 designation for W501s without numbering.

Here are 3 more mislabeled as hand cut. I took them out of the pack they came in, literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Leon,

Technically those cards are simply just uncataloged, as they don’t really fit the definition of W575-1. Several years ago when I was working on my “E121 Family” article for Old Cardboard I began to call these cards W501-2 as I feel that is the best description of what the cards are as they are a parallel set of cards to the W501 regular set in terms of checklist, paper stock, image quality, and the hand cut/torn top and bottom borders and were almost certainly produced by the same company as the W501’s BUT they lack the card number and the “G-4-22” at the top.

It seems my W501-2 has pretty much been accepted by the hobby as a correct designation for them at this point but the grading companies really struggle with all of these types of sets.

I think the main problem is the lack of a central independent database that is being updated, especially since the passing of Bob Lemke. I have toyed with the idea of trying to do that myself in some way as I don’t really see anyone else with a good breadth of knowledge of the different eras really stepping forward to do so but am not really sure how to go about doing so. I have thought about either trying to publish something or starting a YouTube channel discussing different sets at length but don’t want to do so and end up with 10 views!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w575x3.jpg (75.2 KB, 185 views)